Langsung ke konten utama

Purposeless?

When You Feel Purposeless and Fear You're Wasting Time

I should be really grateful of my life.

I live a comfortable life. I'm not rich, but also not poor. I can afford meals 3 times a day, even more. I have a roof on top of my head; I live in a rented room. I have a nice bed to sleep; not my favorite but it's still cozy. I even have a TV. And of course I have a computer and internet connection, otherwise I couldn't write this blog. My room is really warm in the summer because it's in the attic, and lots of bugs hijack my bed during a warm day. But at least I have a roof on top of my head, and I can still live comfortably.

I should also be thankful of the job that I have. I do 9-to-5 job as an IT engineer in a big firm. I'm not in a high position though, but the pay is still alright to afford all my expenses. After all, I don't live a jet set life. I use public transportation to travel to work everyday. I don't eat out regularly, and when I do I don't really go to fancy restaurants or cafes. I don't own fancy stuff or branded clothes. When I go on vacation I tend to stay in a regular room rather than in a 5-star hotel. I don't go to expensive party, I prefer to stay at home.

My work is pretty normal too. I'm not the brightest, but also not the worst (I think). I've tried to be the best, especially when I had my first job. I was ambitious and competitive; I worked so hard and had lots of late nights. I try to prove myself more than others. What were the results? I became so anxious and frustrated, and I got sick realizing that everything I have done was never enough. The more I did, the more I was demanded, and also the more I got frustrated. And in the end, no matter how hard I have worked on somebody's goals, I still got dumped during hard times. Now, I try to be more realistic, more laid back and focus more on myself, on my mental and physical well-being. But it's still not an easy thing to do.

On the other hand, I should be grateful because I have fulfilled many things I dreamed of for a long time. I dreamed of travelling to many countries in the world, and I did. Not as many as wealthy influencers on Instagram though, also I didn't sit on the first class on a flight nor stay in a luxury hotel suite, but it's still quite an experience. Also, I fulfilled my promise to my parents to continue studying overseas without using their money. And now, I live and work in a foreign country; another wish I checked.

Life should be great for me, right? I wake up, go to work, go back home, have dinner, and sleep.
I wake up, go to work, go back home, have dinner, and sleep.
I wake up, go to work, go back home, have dinner, and sleep.
Repeat.
Repeat.
...
...



I feel lost.
I feel empty inside. Somehow, everything I do doesn't spark joy anymore.
Even I'm bored playing the games I used to enjoy playing.
Every conversation turns sour, every action turns bitter.

But, shouldn't I feel grateful of my normal, mediocre life? I am not the brightest, but also not the worst. I am not the most adorable guy, but also not the most despicable. I might not be able to be at the top of the social ladder, but I'm also not at the bottom.

I am just in the middle.
Being unnoticeable.

Purposeless.

Life is indeed so hard.
But is it also purposeless?

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Perbandingan sistem SKS di Indonesia (ITB) dan ECTS di Belanda (TU Delft), dan alasan mengapa banyak yang merasa kuliah di Belanda lebih berat daripada di Indonesia.

"Lebih berat kuliah di Indonesia atau kuliah di Belanda?" Banyak pertanyaan semacam itu dikemukakan oleh orang-orang yang penasaran bagaimana rasanya menempuh studi Magister di negeri kincir angin ini. Bagi sebagian besar orang yang sedang sama-sama menempuh kuliah di sini (secara spesifik di TU Delft) dan sebelumnya menempuh pendidikan S1 di Indonesia, beban kuliah di sini rasanya lebih banyak daripada beban kuliah di Indonesia. Saya pun kurang lebih merasakan hal tersebut. Namun, opini-opini tersebut masih berupa sekumpulan argumen yang bersifat kualitatif. Apakah ada penjelasan kuantitatif yang mendukung pendapat beban studi di Belanda lebih besar daripada beban studi di Indonesia? Saya akan mencoba membahasnya di sini. Perguruan tinggi di Indonesia mengenal sistem Satuan Kredit Semester (SKS) untuk mengukur beban studi mahasiswa dalam menempuh kuliah. Saya kurang tahu apakah sistem SKS berlaku sama atau berbeda-beda antar perguruan tinggi di Indonesia. Oleh karen

Klasifikasi Mall

Orang Indonesia khususnya orang Jakarta pasti sudah tidak asing dengan mall . Jenis pusat perbelanjaan ini sudah menjadi bagian yang tak terpisahkan dari kehidupan masyarakat Jakarta saat ini. Dari tujuan awalnya   yaitu sebagai tempat untuk melakukan transaksi/perdagangan, mall  saat ini telah berkembang sebagai tempat yang tidak hanya memfasilitasi kegiatan perdagangan, tetapi juga sebagai tempat nongkrong , ruang publik  untuk menyuarakan aspirasi, hingga sebagai gaya hidup masyarakat. Terinspirasi dari sebuah pembicaraan, saya ingin membuat klasifikasi mall-mall yang ada di Indonesia. Ternyata tidak semua mall di Indonesia itu sama loh! Mall  di Indonesia ada bermacam-macam jenisnya bergantung pada strategi pendiri mall tersebut, yang disesuaikan pula dengan tujuan dibangunnya mall, demografi dari konsumen , dan hal-hal penting lainnya. Berikut klasifikasi-klasifikasi mall  berdasarkan hasil pemikiran pribadi (sengaja contoh tidak diberikan untuk menghindari hal-hal yang tidak me

Berapa kapasitas PIN BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)?

Hai folks! Setelah mengumpulkan niat akhirnya saya balik menulis blog ini lagi. Kali ini dengan topik yang sedang muncul di kepala dan mungkin agak "tidak penting": Berapa kapasitas PIN BBM? Orang Indonesia sekarang pasti sudah sangat familiar dengan yang namanya BBM. Messenger yang selalu terinstall di dalam perangkat mobile Blackberry (BB) tersebut sudah sangat menyentuh kehidupan orang Indonesia khusunya kawula muda dan para profesional. Setiap saat kerjaannya bertukar pesan BBM terus, atau minta PIN BBM orang supaya bisa connect dengan orang tersebut. Nah PIN ini yang akan kita bahas di post ini. FYI, PIN di BBM berlaku sebagai identitas BBM seseorang, bahkan boleh dibilang identitas BB itu sendiri karena 1 BB cuma bisa punya 1 PIN BBM saja. Pertama, kita akan melihat struktur dari PIN BBM. Misalnya kamu tanya kepada teman kamu yang punya BB, "Eh, PIN BBM-mu berapa?". Pasti (kalau dia mau kasih tahu) dia akan memberikan sebuah #kode angka dan huruf b